Sunday, September 13, 2026

Secondary Woodland on the South of the Dyke coombe 12.09.26


Ash in an ancient hedgerow

At the end of my surveying day, after I had lunch at the superb outdoor The Wildflower Cafe I walked through the secondary woodland that stretches on the south side of the Dyke combe valley from Seddlescombe Farm to the Dyke Road; only part of this woodland is in TQ2611; part of it is in TQ2610; but as it is a discreet landscape feature I surveyed all of it

I focussed on flowering plants and lichens


At the beginning of the secondary woodland there is an ancient hedgerow with veteran coppiced Ash


A not great photo of an Ivy Bee foraging Ivy on an Ash Tree


Colletes hederae Ivy Bee in Ivy Hedera helix

List of species (from my iRecord account)




think it is probably Parmotrema perlatum but the stalked soralia with soredia don't look quite right for P. perlatum; they are not at the margins of lobes but within the lobes. I have consulted other lichenologists on this one,


Physcia tenella with apothecia on Ash

Fertile Physcia tenella. I have never seen it fertile before. Infertile P. it is very abundant on downland Hawthorn. Fertile, its rare. It has one round black "jam tart" apothecia containing fungal spores.



Punctelia jeckeri

Characteristically Marked with tiny white dots called pseudocyphellae (breaks in the thallus), which turn into powdery reproductive clusters (soralia) mainly along the edges of the lobes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A wander round the north hill-top meadows of the Devil's Dyke and Newtimber Hill: a "new" Juniper & Red Star-thistle & Shieldbugs 14.09.26

 A random walk after doing the bryophyte recce walk. Some interesting things seen: Candolleomyces candolleanus Pale Brittlestem on the stee...